Disclaimer

All characters referenced within this blog are 18+ unless explicitly stated otherwise. All content contained within this blog is wholly fict...

Thursday 2 February 2023

Horror Aboard a Freighter

I glance at the control panel when a chime fills the cockpit, checking the screens. The text of an automated distress signal is appearing on one, using an old military code I haven't seen since the academy, and I tap at the scanner display. A dot flashes into life on the edge of my ship's range, the source of the distress signal, and I hurriedly do some math in my head before changing course.

I find that the signal comes from a freighter, floating aimlessly in the black, and do a flyby, checking the hull for any signs of damage. I don't see anything, certainly nothing to suggest why a distress signal would be needed, and carefully dock my ship at the freighter's port airlock. Collecting a blaster and a pack containing a small selection of tools I stand by the airlock door, waiting for the systems to equalize.

I'm nervous as I step onto the freighter though, something doesn't feel quite right, and tighten the grip on my blaster. Vivid crimson lighting illuminates the interior, a sign that the ship's on emergency power, and I fumble for a torch as I walk forward, footsteps echoing along the corridor. It isn't long before I reach a four-way intersection, a common feature aboard freighters, and glance down the wide passage that goes all the way to the bridge.

Behind me is the way to the engine room and I start making my way there, if only to restore power to the freighter. I slow as I pause the open doors of a cargo module, pointing the torch into it to check the contents. The rear end of a battle tank comes into clear view, a large number of metal boxes line one wall, and a small amount of seating is against the other, presumably for the tank's crew.

The seating shows signs of damage, as if claws have shredded the fabric, but there's no bodies, no blood. I frown as I continue my walk, the sense of apprehension returning. Something attacked those seats, perhaps even the soldiers using them. Something forced the freighter to be adrift, left no-one left to maintain the ship's systems. I'm now treading carefully as I pass each cargo module door, leading with my blaster, and skid to a halt when I get to the engine room.

I can see the blaster marks on the wall, smell the tang still lingering in the air, even hear the creaking of metal as it cools. A battle happened in the doorway, the torn barricade would make that obvious, but again there are no bodies. I vault over the barricade, standing in the engine room itself, and hurry to the reactor controls. With just a handful of taps I revive the reactor, power flowing out along the entire length of the freighter, and quickly bring the basic systems to full strength. The engine room is bathed in light as I put away my torch, the reactor a steady hum, and I activate a simplified command station.

I can feel the freighter vibrate as I channel power to its engines, programming a auto-course that would bring it back to Brook Station. Flicking through the bridge consoles the command station emulates I pause at Interior Defence, switching on the ceiling turrets and setting them to ignore my bio-sign. I hesitate before leaving the engine room, imagining the last person who probably set these functions and their fate.

Six modules line the central corridor between the intersection and the bridge. I investigated the other three aft of the intersection, finding in them more vehicles and supplies. Nothing to suggest what happened to the crew or passengers. I'm crossing the intersection when I hear skittering, the sound of tiny claws on metal, and spin, blaster in hand as I glance at every surface I can see. I look up in alarm as the skittering seems to pass overhead and then continue aft, heading for the engine room, and sprint after the noise.

Monsters are pouring from a hatch in the ceiling, flooding into the engine room, and I pull the trigger, frying a score of them as they tumble through the air. It makes me a target though and the things leap at me as soon as they touch the deck.

I scream as I'm knocked onto my back, feeling the monsters crawling up my legs. My jumpsuit offers no protection, I can feel my flesh being slashed, and only a gurgle escapes me after a scythe-like claw passes through my neck, blood growing into a pool beneath me…

No comments:

Post a Comment