Disclaimer

All characters referenced within this blog are 18+ unless explicitly stated otherwise. All content contained within this blog is wholly fict...

Friday 2 October 2020

The Name Isn't Bond: Part Two

"Unit X-2-0. He'll see you now."
Melody and I rose, crossing the antechamber of Honcho Office. His secretary stopped flirting long enough to press a button on her desk, a section of the wall dividing the antechamber from the greater part of the room sliding away. We stepped through the revealed doorway, both instinctively straightening when he turned his gaze on us.

I don't think anyone in the Agency knew the name of the Chief except the previous one and the small group of S-class agents he'd been a member of. They were almost a breed apart, trained to a higher standard than the rest of us, and it fostered a type of arrogance in them.
"Agent Charles. Agent Edwards." We came to a halt in front of the Chief's desk, fixing our eyes on the British flag adorning the back wall. "The report you submitted made for grim reading. I understand the video footage attached to your report is equally grim."
We hadn't actually opened the files on the discs taken from Recep Memorial's basement but it was obvious what had been on them.
"Has the surveillance division been able to get a hit for any of the agents?"
It had been in the report, rewritten during the journey home, that the surviving agents of the monitor team hadn't been at the Recep Memorial, presumably meaning that they'd been moved to be elsewhere. The Chief scowled at me, irritation in his eyes.
"No. But they have been trying." The Chief held up a hand. "Airports, docks, rail stations, road service stations. Any form of travel that could be used to move between one location and another."
"Anything from the Turkish intelligence services about either the Recep or the Passionate Knight?
"The Turks are being notoriously independent as usual. We have learned though that the hospital no longer exists."
"Sir?"
The Chief pulled a folder from the stack on his desk, opening it and removing several large photos.
"There appears to have been a rather catastrophic fire. Went right down to below the foundations."
I sighed as I spread the photos across the Chief's desk. Only fragments of the outer wall remained, a crater just visible within the boundaries.
"I suppose the Turkish aren't releasing any details on recovered remains?"
"At the temperature needed to have destroyed the building in the way shown there wouldn't be any remains to recover."
"Edwards is correct."
"No offense then sir but why summon us? We are back to where we started."
"Not quite." The Chief pulled another photo and a single-sheet dossier from the folder. "Altan Solak."

After the Chief had ordered us to capture Solak we left his office, making our way down to Surveillance. The photo the Chief had shown us was from an airport camera the previous day, hardly a clue to his location, and being told to capture him was pointless if we didn't know where he was.

The surveillance division was housed in eight large auditoriums, each dedicated to a major region of the world. Unable to narrow down the search for Solak we left his name and outdated photo with an assignment clerk before heading into the auditorium monitoring the Middle East. Nearly one hundred people were in the room and I made my way to those assigned to Turkey.
"Found anything?"
The agents looked up from their computers, each one of the devices displaying hacked camera feeds.
"Agent Charles, considering your failure I think you'd be among the last to know if we had."
Agents in the surveillance division have a close relationship with their corresponding monitor teams but the comment still stung and it was Melody who leapt to my defense.
"We got to one, and located who was behind the disappearance of the others."
The surveillance agent who'd spoken shook his head.
"But you have no more leads on them!" His attention was diverted by an alert on his computer. "And now you want us to search for another lost individual? What kind of agents are you?"
"The kind who follow orders." I turned to leave, glancing over my shoulder at the surveillance agents. "As you should be."

It was while we were doing research of our own, cross-referencing the Recep's list of donors with known underworld groups, that we received word that Solak had been identified on an airport camera in Brazil. Summoned back to Honcho Office we again stood before the Chief.
"I want Solak alive and you have a chance at redemption. Do you understand?"
"Yes sir."
"Good. The monitor team in Brazil has been informed and will meet you upon arrival. Now report to the Armoury for your travel documents."
"One last thing sir. Aside from the monitor team who else can give support?"
"No one." The Chief's voice was emotionless. "This matter is staying in-house, although the Turks have probably got part of the picture following our inquiries."

After returning from Turkey I had sent my car to the Armoury for repairs. The damage hadn't been that severe, the extra armour around the fuel tank having prevented anything from penetrating it, but it had still taken some time to repair the bodywork and splintered glass panelling.

The two technicians working on the car were standing by a board almost eclipsed by the schematics pinned to it, quietly arguing with each other. They paused as I led the way into the garage, turning towards us.
"Agent Charles. As you can see we have repaired your car and supplied new caltrops." The speaking technician gestured at the board. "We also have some additional modifications for your consideration."
"Whilst I'm sure your proposals have merit perhaps they can wait." The technicians looked downcast as I filled out the paperwork needed to reclaim the car from the Armoury. "I want it bought round to the front within the hour. And I was told you had travel documents for me?"
One of the technicians searched through the mess atop a nearby desk, eventually retrieving an envelope.
"Plane tickets to Brazil and a border permit for your car."
I tucked the envelope into a jacket pocket and turned to leave.
"Remember, car out front within the hour please."

---

Brazil from the air was a beautiful sight, the rich greens of the Amazon rainforest separated from the vibrant blue of the Atlantic by a sliver of white sand. As the plane dropped towards Rio though and the city came  into sharper focus the urban sprawl began detracting from the natural beauty.
"How are we going to find him in all of that?"
I glanced past Melody and through the window before tapping the small briefcase tucked into the webbing on the back of the seat in front.
"We'll have support, both from here and from home. We'll be fine."

The first member of the Brazil monitor team we met was a woman who identified herself as Paula Derval. She had been holding a sign bearing the pre-arranged signs and gave the correct response when we approached.
"You're the big shots from the Center." She gave Melody a quick glance before blatantly checking me out. "I'll take you to meet the boss."
Paula led us from the airport, walking with a practised stroll that drew attention, and waited by a sleek convertible with Melody while I went off to collect my own car. I don't exactly know what they talked about, only catching Paula saying something about blending in as I pulled into the parking space next to Paula's.
"Are you ready to leave?"

The meeting place chosen by the monitor team was a beachfront cafe on the other side of the road from the Copacabana. After finding empty parking spaces I followed Paula across the busy street, leaving Melody behind with her laptops. A tall woman, clad in just a bikini and a sarong, was at a shaded table, rising when Paula began waving in her direction.
"Dear Paula, so glad that you found our visitor from overseas." The woman turned to me. "Agent Eva Ryder. At your service, at the Chief's command."
Paula dropped into an empty chair as Eva and I sized up each other, a slight grin on her face.
"We've been told to be completely at your service.
Eva glanced sharply at Paula, a rebuke clearly wanting to be aired, before shrugging.
"Paula is right but as usual takes it to a different level."
I looked over at Paula for a moment before frowning.
"Whilst I'm flattered I'd rather get on with the mission. Do you have an office or place where you gather?"
"Hardly. This is where we get together when we have to." Eva reached into the bag by her seat and pulled out an A4 envelope. "After our counterparts in the Surveillance Division found Solak on a camera feed they forwarded the relevant access codes to us. Between us and them we have gone through the last few days of footage."
"He's turned up multiple times then."
Eva half-pulled several photos from the envelope, flicking through them to show me the time-stamps.
"Twice within the last 24 hours. I've had two of my team shadowing him."
I carefully assessed the photos, picking out one that was of a walled-off mansion.
"His current residence?"
"That's our thinking. Paula can show you while I go over some of the technical aspects with your support agent."

Paula drove me to a hill park that had a view of the mansion, pointing out areas the monitor team had already identified. The building resembled the Recep's mansion-hospital, something that I'm sure wasn't a coincidence, and I took several photos of my own before turning to Paula.
"You're watching the airport for Solak. Are you watching for who else comes and goes from that mansion?"
Paula shook her head as she made her way back to her car.
"We can't afford to constantly watch one specific location. A two-person rotating team watches Solak, shadowing him when he leaves the mansion, usually heading for the airport. The rest of us do our normal work."
"Would it be possible to set up some cameras?"
Paula considered my question as she slid into her car's driving seat.
"That is something that we can talk about with your techie. Shall we return to her or do you want to spend some more time here in the sun?"
I was under no illusions as to what Paula was really asking but shook my head.
"Maybe we can return here another time. But for now I'd like to get back."

Eva and Melody were both in my car when Paula and I got back to the cafe, laptops out to allow for the transfer of information. The leader of the monitor team gracefully stepped from the vehicle at my approach, turning to retrieve her computer.
"Your support agent is a quick study. I've given her the codes to the airport security and given her access to our shared files."
"Thank you Agent Ryder." I climbed into the car, glancing over at the engrossed Melody beside him. Nudging her I grinned as her head shot up, rapidly looking around. "Are you ready to go to the hotel?"

---

Melody and I set ourselves up in the hotel room booked for us, Melody claiming a bed and instantly getting out her laptops. Looking over her shoulder I watched as the one screen was divided into a multitude of smaller windows, each one the feed from a camera at the airport.
"Agent Ryder told me that Solak doesn't appear to actually enter the airport."
"He's watching something then, Something or someone is being shipped out from Brazil."
Melody tapped out a sequence on the laptop keyboard and several of the small windows disappeared.
"These are the ones at the departure terminal. I'll stick with these then?"
I nodded for a second before remembering my earlier conversation with Paula.
"I made a suggestion to have some cameras watch a residence Solak is making his base."
Melody glanced up at me and I could almost see cogs turning in her head.
"Would this be cameras we'd have to put up or do they already exist and I just have to hack them?"
"Paula implied that cameras would be installed but I'll give you the residence address so that you can check."

---

Over the next three days a routine emerged. Melody would watch the mansion, having found a usable camera, and the airport, scanning to establish what Solak was observing. I meanwhile would travel to the park, making note of everything important I could think of. On the night of the third day though, our fourth in Rio, there was a change. Solak was returning to the mansion, shadowed by Paula and another agent I knew only as Junior, and I was transcribing notes when my phone rang, the caller ID claiming that it was Paula.
"Ben? They killed Junior... I'm shot up pretty bad..."
I gestured for Melody to call for an ambulance, uncomfortably reminded of the last time I'd had her contact the emergency services, and pressed a button on my phone to activate the speaker function.
"Paula, hold on. Melody is getting an ambulance."
A coughing laugh came from the phone.
"Don't bother. I know a fatal injury when I see one. Probably why they didn't finish me off."
"Who? Who was it Paula?"
"Solak..."
Paula trailed off but I kept the line open for a minute. Eventually though I conceded to the truth, shaking my head and ending the call.
"I'll go in tonight and drag Solak by his beard if I have to. Did you book a safe-room?"
Melody nodded, already beginning to pack up, and I crossed to where my suitcase sat, flipping it open and unzipping a concealed compartment. My standard-issue pistol, along with a couple of clips and a silencer attachment, was in the compartment, as were a pair of stockless submachine guns.
"You came planning for a fight?"
"Solak was involved in the abduction of four agents. Too right I came prepared for a fight."

Rio de Janeiro at night was only a little different to the city during the day. The bars were still open, the streets were still full of revellers, and the parks were the domain of young couples. The main difference was the sounds of gunfire, police actions or gang warfare, but that was useful to me. I stood in the same place in the hill park Paula had taken me to, a perfect view of the mansion in front of me.

After making my way back down the hill I carefully circled the estate until reaching the spot I'd picked out from the hill. The wall was a bit more worn, a bit climbable, and my boots lost no grip as I hauled myself up and over the wall. On the other side a gravel path had been laid, sticking close to the wall in both directions, and I hurried to the right, the shape of a man just visible ahead.

There was barely a sound when I shot the man in the back of the head. Dashing forward I frisked the body for keys or swipe-cards, anything that could get me into places, before taking his pistol and rolling him from the gravel. The mansion featured a number of entrances and I'd chosen to take out the guard when we were near a door I'd observed guards using. Crossing to the door I tried it and slipped inside upon discovering it was unlocked, finding myself in a small locker room. Going through the door on the other side of the room I stepped into an expansive lobby, side-stepping behind a thick pillar to avoid being seen by a woman clad in what appeared to be an exquisitely-made gown.
"Altan!" The woman paused, a note of confusion in her voice. "If you're greeting me then does that mean he is here?"
I risked being spotted by glancing around the pillar and looked up at the top of the stairs. Altan Solak was standing there, looking like he ruled the world, and the woman was calmly walking towards him.
"Not yet. He's supposed to arrive soon."
The arrival of extra people made me worried, concern that I would miss my shot at capturing Solak in my mind, and I made a choice.

Moving away from the shadow of the pillar I levelled my pistol, opening fire on Solak and his guest. The woman pitched forward, slithering back a couple of steps, and Solak grunted in pain as he too fell down the stairs, his knees bloody ruins. I hurried to where he lay, punching him into unconsciousness, and grabbed him under the armpits so I could drag him.

The raid was nothing like when I'd visited the Passionate Knight. This was virtually spur of the moment, driven by anger, and I paused once at the bottom of the stairs. After a moment I realized that there was only one way I could go and drew my pistol, shifting my grip so that I could pull Solak with just one hand.

There were a few cars parked in front of the mansion, a key I'd found on the guard unlocking and starting one. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone came investigating but I didn't really have options. With Solak bundled into the boot I drove for the estate gates, trying to look as normal as possible. A pair of guards were at the gates and I let out a sigh of relief when they waved me through, loosening the grip I had on my pistol.

A helicopter flew overhead as I cleared the gates, reminding me that Solak had spoken of a 'him' arriving at the mansion soon. Part of me was tempted to pull over to watch it but at the same time I knew the chances of my actions being discovered was growing. Gritting my teeth I kept driving, reaching into my jacket for my phone.
"Agent Ryder. Contact the Center and have them arrange for a car and damaged goods to be sent home."
I could hear the anger and pain in Eva's voice when she responded.
"I assume your mission is done then? I still have some agents for you to kill."
"That isn't fair. We all know the risks and what we might have to sacrifice. Don't let your team-mates' sacrifices be in vain."
"I assume you also want heavies present when your package touches down."
"Yes please." I actually just wanted the mission to be over. "Contact me when everything is arranged."

No comments:

Post a Comment