Disclaimer

All characters referenced within this blog are 18+ unless explicitly stated otherwise. All content contained within this blog is wholly fict...

Saturday 3 October 2020

Revolution: Day in the City

It took me another week to get to Lille, the roads becoming more travelled the closer I got to the city. Everyone I passed seemed happy but there seemed that there was also an undercurrent of fear, something I doubt was helped by the number of bloodied blue overcoats lining both sides of the main road.

---

The walls of Lille were in the process of being rebuilt, each breach or collapsed section surrounded by teams of people and scaffolding. Everyone on the incoming roads were directed to just a single gate and I cast a curious eye over the small squad of women standing guard. As the Gypsy girl had said they wore white overcoats but otherwise I suspected they had the same kit as the Army. Despite the fact there were guards though nobody was being checked on entry, not even me when I walked past, and once inside I took a moment to let out a breath of relief.

A large public square was the first place visitors to Lille came across. A smaller wooden stage was in its center, a pair of women shouting out about reason and enlightenment. I'd been told that the Council was established to pursue foolish notions of equality and democracy, on the belief of changing France to suit themselves, and these women had clearly fallen for the lies. Skirting around the edge of the square I glanced up at one of the signposts, trying to pick out a location that sounded like it would be a tavern.

I must have stood out as after a minute or so I became aware of a strong presence at my side and turned to see a man standing next to me. My mind flashed back to Fifth Ridge but I fought the urge to be terrified, instead looking up at him and faking my confidence.
"Where are you looking for?"
He looked back at me, an easy grin on his face, and shrugged.
"Not sure yet. Where are you going?"
"A tavern. Somewhere to rest my feet for a bit."
The man hummed in thought before pointing at a street on the other side of the square.
"You'll want the Hunted Noble then. Go down that street and take the second left."
"Thank you."

I started walking in the direction specified, slowing down when I noticed the man ambling along in my wake. I waited until we were off the square before turning to confront him, slightly reassured that he was more like my father than the monsters I'd encountered in battle.
"Can I ask what you're doing?"
"I'm going to my favourite tavern. It just happens to be in this direction."
I tensed upon hearing his words, stepping to one side. His presence seemed magnified within the confined space and by the time we arrived at the Hunted Noble, even now I shudder at that name, I think I was a nervous wreck.

The interior of the Hunted Noble was smoke-filled and noisy. It was also crowded, I spotted more than a few men seemingly holding court and the rest of the patrons wore clothing in the colours of the Council. The man left my side, quickly disappearing from view, and I headed for the bar, waving to get the attention of one of the barmaids. The girl who came to me looked young, no older than eighteen, and I wondered how her life had been changed by the Council as she bought me a mug of ale. Leaning across to hand her a livre I used the close proximity as an opportunity to be heard.
"How much for a room?"
"Twenty." I huffed as I reached for one of the many coin-pouches I carried. "Twenty-five if you want better service."
I shook my head as I pulled out exactly twenty livre and in the time it took for me to blink the coins had vanished from the counter.

After finishing my mug and then storing my now-mostly empty kit-bag in the room the barmaid had pointed out I ventured back onto the streets of Lille. The lateness of the day meant there was a different feel to the populace. It was very much a celebration and I dodged around groups of revellers whilst returning to the square. Two figures dressed up to be like the Queen and Prince-Consort were on the stage and it took me a minute as I got closer to realize that the figures were wooden statues.

It didn't make what followed any easier to watch. A queue of people, in all sorts of clothing, had formed and in pairs stepped onto the stage, touching the lit torches they carried against the statues. Flames swiftly spread, consuming the rich clothing and starting to blacken the wood, while the crowds cheered. One of the women I'd seen upon entering Lille climbed onto the stage, silhouetted by the burning statues, and produced a book.
"The Queen and her consort embody the sickness of the system! They have no authority to rule!" The crowd roared and the woman briefly glanced down at her book. "The Council will sweep her away and replace the monarchy with a system of elected officials!"
Another voice sounded out and I glanced around for the speaker, thinking that she sounded like the other woman from earlier.
"And what do the people get?"
"The people will be the ones doing the electing, being able to choose their futures! They will be free!"

I was disturbed by the fervour shown at the demonstration and went to leave the square. Only a few streets weren't blocked by crowds, although I was glared at whilst approaching them, and soon I found myself walking through an area of Lille that was seemingly abandoned. An air of despair hung over the decaying buildings and judging from the size of each building, as well as the smashed remains of opulent furniture, I would wager that this was where the Council's supporters in the city had struck their first blow against the monarchy, the aristocracy being known as big supporters of the Queen.

I let out a low whine upon rounding one looted noble's house, spotting the church that had served the district. My mind went back to the burnt-out farm, for the church was in the same state, and I nearly screamed when a gaunt woman emerged from within the defiled building.
"Have you come to finish the job? Was burning His house not enough?"
There was a weariness in the priestess' voice and I frowned, spreading wide my hands.
"I would never burn a house of the Lord. Is this what their enlightenment means?"

No comments:

Post a Comment