Disclaimer

All characters referenced within this blog are 18+ unless explicitly stated otherwise. All content contained within this blog is wholly fict...

Friday 19 July 2024

Civil War 02

I spend the night scavenging from the dead, my backpack nearly full again, and walk from the temple as the sun starts to rise. I make good time on the road, quickly leave the temple and the dead behind, and soon even the trails of smoke rising above Chonnet are out of sight. It is packed dirt I'm strolling along, the same soil as ancestors beyond counting used, and the countryside is uncaring of the civil war raging through it.

The sun is halfway between the horizon and directly above when I stop in the shade of a great oak, leaning against the wood with a relaxed sigh. My brief nap is interrupted though, the sounds of approaching horses comes along the road, and I rise before moving to be partially hidden by the tree. A column of soldiers, wearing the same blue as the women last night, are approaching, being led by a gaggle of officers riding the horses I heard. I hastily shuck off my coat, shoving it and a pistol into my backpack, before removing the bayonet from my rifle. The firearm itself I try hiding among the oak's exposed roots, straightening as an officer draws level with me. The Adeline catches sight of me, bringing her mount to a halt.
"Come here girlie." Part of me bristles at being called girlie, the officer looks younger than I do and was probably raised from the bottom of the ranks, but I coyly blush as she runs an eye over me. Moving slowly, glancing at the rows of Adelines marching past, I get closer and the officer, wearing lieutenant's insignia, leans down with a hand outstretched. Damn me if I don't relax as she strokes my cheek, I ignore the smirks on the faces of women walking by, until the lieutenant straightens, twisting in the saddle. "Yvonne!"
She keeps calling until a scowling matronly woman reaches us, books visible in the satchel resting against one hip.
"What do you want Sabine? I'm busy enough already."
The flush that colours Sabine's cheeks speaks volumes, I'm right in my assumption about her origins, but she gestures at me.
"New worker for you. I'll expect her back when we stop for the night though."
Yvonne professionally looks at me, gaze going from head to toe. I'm guessing she's the quarter-mistress, that her books would be full of lists of supplies, and that she also has power over the stragglers trailing at the rear of the column, stragglers that every band of soldiers seem to collect.

The change from lady's maid to soldier has given me some muscle and eventually Yvonne gestures that I should follow her, I feel Sabine's eyes on my ass as I walk along the column. There are five others like me under Yvonne's jurisdiction, whores and thieves to a woman, and there's a tense moment as they mutely evaluate me. The dominant one is a hard-faced young woman, her body whip-thin, and her hand hovers above the heavy-bladed knife at her waist as she glances at my own weapons, paying close attention to the pistol.
"Nice piece you have. Steal it or loot it?"
"It was loot. Thieving from the living is a dirty business."
I neglect to say I took the pistol off the body of my lover but it's the later part of my speech that makes an impact, the other women sneering. They glance at each other like cruel children and I tense as they move to surround me, trying to keep them all in view.
"Newbie thinks she's better than you Vivi. Maybe you should teach her a…"
"Stow it guttersnipes!" Yvonne's raised voice cuts through the tension as she appears, thrusting a cane toward Vivi. She instantly drops the dominance, recognizing that Yvonne is too world-weary to be intimidated, and the quarter-mistress glances at me. "This one's an officer's girl. Leave off."
Vivi shoots a dark look at me, I'll have to keep an eye on her, but joins her gang in nodding with acceptance.

We have to hustle to rejoin the column, partially why Yvonne had turned up, and follow behind in an angry quiet. There's a moment of nervousness as the Adelines march past the temple, a group of villagers are digging graves, but neither the Adelines or the villagers display antagonism towards each other, the gravediggers merely pausing to sullenly watch the soldiers. The reception as the column moves through Chonnet is similar, lots of staring being aimed at us. The officers call a halt when they reach the village square, the soldiers bunching up together, and then Yvonne shows up, ordering us to distribute food and water to the Adelines. I hurriedly grab a posh-looking set of tableware, snatching also a thick triangle of cheese from the supply wagon, before walking along the column. Sabine has a sour expression on her face when I get to her, conversing rapidly with a few other officers, and my stomach flips when I realize they're talking about the bluecoats killed the previous night.
"Thanks love." The words come out absent-mindedly, Sabine barely noticing as she takes the cheese. "Where are your troopers Amelie?"
The officer Sabrina questions is a captain but there's such a familiarity that she must have been another lifted from the enlisted ranks.
"They should be here. Dozy sluts best not be slacking." Amelie glances at the villagers watching from the edges of the square, raising her voice. "A couple of squads were sent here yesterday."
"Ain't none of you bluecoats here."
It was the innkeeper's eldest daughter who responds, defiance written loudly all over Stephanie.
"Is that so?" There's steel in those silky words and the captain spurs her horse into motion, crossing the square to tower over the slightly younger woman. "You seem very sure of that."
"Should be. Put a bullet in one myself."
My heart sinks at the words, Amelie scowling as she grabs at her sword. The rasp the curved blade makes as it's unsheathed seems loud, the air becomes thick with anticipation as bluecoats tightly clutch their rifles, and a hint of uncertainty flashes across Stephanie's face.

The column's commanding officer has so far been aloof, keeping above the officers' discussions, but now she gets involved. I can tell straight off that the major is a proper officer as there's a noble disdain when her gaze sweeps over the square.
"Kill them all."
Amelie swiftly thrusts, Stephanie letting out a gasp as Amelie's saber sinks deeply into her breast, and then chaos breaks out. Ragged volleys fill curvaceous villagers with bullets, the sounds of metal punching into flesh bounces off pockmarked walls, and perhaps half the locals are slain outright. Others crumple while trying to flee, some spinning as they're shot in the back, and the remainder disappear.
"They'll be going for their guns now ma'am." Amelie has moved her horse next to her commander's, glancing at the streets leading from the square. "Best we move on quickly."
"These peasants killed some of your girls Captain Fournier. Should they not be punished?"
"The general is expecting us. What will she say if you reach her with less than you set out with?"
The major lets out a sigh, I see her minutely relax, and nods.
"Of course. General Suchet and Montlimar await." She glances behind her at the dispersed soldiers. "The column will reform and prepare to march. There's true glory ahead of us."
Buoyed by their taste of victory, because killing unarmed peasants is a victory, the bluecoats get back into line, moving slowly and professionally on guard as they stride through the rest of Chonnet.

On the major's orders the pace quickens as the village comes to an end, a few soldiers are posted to walk behind us as a rearguard, but nothing has happened by the time the column stops for the night. The troopers begin setting up crude tents, Vivi and her gang drifting among them, and I look up from the supply wagon as Sabine approaches.
"What you doing with the wagon? Follow me."
I can't really refuse, trailing slowly behind the lieutenant until we reach her tent. She casts off her coat, revealing an athletic figure held nicely within a tight waistcoat, and finishes turning towards me. My throat dries as she starts toying with the buttons of her waistcoat, as she loosens the strings of her pantaloons, and as she backs into her tent. Sabine drops onto her back, legs spread, and I kneel between them, glancing round for a moment.
"Your fascinum?"
"In my pack somewhere. Forget it though. I want you."
I blush at the words, reach out to pull down her pantaloons. She's completely shaven, skin glistening with wetness, and her hands tangle themselves among my hair when I take an experimental lick. She keeps my head flush against her, her scent almost makes me dizzy it's so overpowering, and her little noises when I hit the right spots seem so loud.

I eventually leave Sabine sleeping, thoroughly sated after a few hours of sex, and redress before making my way back to the supply wagon. The dull glow from exhausted lanterns lights my path and it's in that light that I see Vivi's wiry frame hunched over an untidy pile of backpacks, poking through one at the top. Items are scattered around her feet, boxes of ammunition, and an anger is roused within me.
"What the fuck you doing?"
Vivi whirls as she hears my hissed curse, there's a smug grin on her face when she pulls out my coat and holds it at arm's length. Her waistcoat hangs open to expose her breasts and her knee-length skirt is barely staying up at the hip, her slutty appearance a contrast to my still fully-clothed one.
"Rosy bitch. Maybe take you to your beloved Sabine, out you as a redcoat spy."
I'm glowering as I stalk forward, hands bunched up into fists. I can only see Vivi, see her cruel eyes, but I doubt her gang is far away. She throws my coat aside, pulling out her knife, and shifts into a vaguely recognizable fighting stance. I snatch at my bayonet, the metal glinting slightly in the dim lantern-light, and rush at Vivi, my anger fuelling my movements. She tries countering me, knife brushed aside by my longer blade, and the breath explosively leaves her as I shove the bayonet into her belly, angling it up to pierce her heart. She grimaces as she's slain, bares her teeth, and crumples when I withdraw my bayonet. I'm panting from the surge of adrenaline, just a bit excited, but the moment passes as I look round anxiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment